“I don’t want to make money. I just want to be wonderful.” ~Marilyn Monroe
The chick with the Betty complex,
never quite reaches Veronica status.
Pig-tailed Maryann but never Ginger
with bedroom eyes.
Tries too hard for the bouquet
Guns for it, poised like a runner
arms spread out, determined yet
Dons a prom dress but no date
Hair ala Lucille Ball in 1953
Pretends reality, above the fakery
below the scale of self-esteem.
Reads Ginsberg with breath reeking
of sweat, coffee and nicotine
crooked glasses, poems written in
a drunken scrawl
never quite reaches that howl
Or the black hair streaked blue
in comic books.
- Spooky Celebrity Homes: Harry Houdini, Marilyn Monroe, and Lucille… (curbed.com)
- First Look At Michelle Williams As Marilyn Monroe (cinemablend.com)
- Marilyn Monroe In Swimsuits (huffingtonpost.com)
- Marilyn Monroe Named Greatest Blonde of All Time in Clairol Poll (stylelist.com)
- Why do we still love Marilyn Monroe? (independent.co.uk)