2 rods, 25 screws, 2 pelvic bolts and 16 total hours of back surgeries later and viola! An almost straight spine and 3 more inches of height.
I had surgery when I was 36. The poor girl in this story suffered from the same affliction at only 11 years old.
Kids teased her and called her “Hunchback of Notre Dame” from the way she walked. Kids are cruel, that’s true, but at least she can now stand up to them.
Related articles by Zemanta
- Surgeons straighten spine of ‘Hunchback’ girl (telegraph.co.uk)
- Dr. Marc Moramarco Discusses Scoliosis on Fox 25 Boston (prweb.com)
- Types of Back Braces for Use With Scoliosis (brighthub.com)
- Causes and treatment of Scoliosis and Curvature of the Spine (brighthub.com)
- Spinal fusion – All Information (umm.edu)
- Personal Health: Scoliosis Test Lets Children Avoid a Brace (nytimes.com)