1. A lot of things can happen
2. All of these can kill you
3. So DON’T PANIC!!!
The first compliment I ever got from a well-known person (and Pulitzer Prize winner) was on an essay I wrote entitled “It’s Hard to Be Happy When You’re Feeling Really Crappy.”
I wrote it after a 2 week stay in the hospital from a severe kidney infection where I envisioned, as a 24-year-old, sitting among my older relatives comparing colonoscopies. The kidney specialist said my infection was the worst he’d ever seen. Yay! Finally! Number one at something! Something to brag about at my high school reunion.
After getting out of the hospital, I borrowed Dave Barry turns 40 from the library to cheer me up.
Mistakenly I thought Barry was funny because nothing bad happened to him. But in the book he writes about his parents committing suicide only about a week apart. I learned a person like Barry can recover from the most horrific of traumas and still make people laugh.
I sent Mr. Barry the essay and he sent me back a postcard signed “Dave Barry, M.D.” It didn’t matter what he said, because I don’t recall his reply. I was just giddy that he even read it and took time to mail me a postcard.
What I look forward to is continued immaturity followed by death. ~Dave Barry
- Dave Barry – I\’ll Mature When I\’m Dead (eyeonbooks.com)
- Book Review – Big Trouble by Dave Barry (duffbert.com)
- It’s Almost Time Me Hearties (socyberty.com)
- My, This Beer Has Some Delicious Proteins | Discoblog (blogs.discovermagazine.com)
- The Kingdom Keepers Return to Guide Guests Through the Disney Parks by Day – and Protect the Parks from Disney Villains at Night (eon.businesswire.com)